Captured by light

I received a package today from a friend containing a trove of old photographs that she collected in Russia.

I wonder about the subjects of these pictures.  Some of the images were shot in studios but most are snapshots.  These are my favorites because they record fragments rather than official moments.

The subject is usually a family group enjoying an outing in the sun.

Some make me wonder.  Is this child in a hospital?  Did she survive her illness?  Are these dispassionate people her parents?

What are these Chinese and this man in western clothes doing with this machine?

Cameras record moments now lost. What story can these frozen creatures tell?
Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. What extraordinary photos. I have a friend who collects them too. It is great fun to imagine the stories behind them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment